Sunday, June 04, 2006

Masala Dubai Part 01


Bollywood is coming to Dubai!
2006 IIFA Film Festival in Dubai to screen 30 Indian feature films
The 2006 IIFA Film Festival which will run from June 15-17 at the Grand Cineplex, Dubai, as part of the 7th Annual IIFA Weekend and Awards presented by Tiara Residence, will screen 30 Indian commercial and critical films and 5 short films.
United Arab Emirates: Wednesday, May 24 - 2006 at 08:54 GMT+4

I think it's about time...old dames like the Academy Awards and Festival De Cannes should likewise go on the road! IIFA was in Singapore a couple of years ago. I managed to sneaked in for the grand show through some "unscrupulous" means...lol
Somehow, the stars looked exceptionally ordinary in reality. That's the magic of movies!
I have a peculiar relationship with the indians....generally. Back home, I was initiated into the world of indian films by my "crazy" late granny. By the way, I'm not an indian.We started with Tamil movies...Sivaji, MGR,Jayalalitha (she's still a prominent Minister in India...loves shoes, money and power. Not necessary in that order)..illuminaries of the by-gone era. Later part.. we graduated..both my granny and my self...into Bollywood fares...Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, Amir Khan, Aishwarya Rai,Kareena Kapoor, Kajol...etc (The pic in this post features: Kajol and Shah Rukh)A must-have in most indian movies...gorgeous leads..singing and dancing in breath taking sceneries...it could be London or up in the Alps...etc
In Dubai, the indian community is pretty big. I have dealings with them in all sizes and shapes...real estate agents, manpower suppliers, IT professionals, cybercafe owners, money lenders...etc Mostly are from the state of Kerala. Specifc encounters with them will be shared in Part 02..:)
Anyway, a certain Swami told me I was also a black feline in my previous life...specifically a royal feline in the court of a Maharani in India many centuries ago. In the present 2nd life..Im still a feline serving Queen Tainted! I suspect they (Maharani and Tainted) are both the same being. Currently I am doing lots of charity works...hopefully will gain enuff good karma for a good life in the next round. We have nine lives u see. And I am praying for a role switch with her!
Wonder anyone else is crazy over them? Amitabh...the godfather of bollywood is still the real deal. Shah Rukh is boring...Amir Khan is a hobbit....Rai is souless..Kareena is a drag queen! You heard it first here.
!"Quick Muthu..give me a glass of icy mango lassi please! Im having coffee with Karan later."

10 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

You would be a very regal feline in any court!

My husband was in Chicago at Discover credit card on business. He went to the men's room and said there was Bollywood music emanating from the next stall...he still laughs about it today!

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a music video from a Bollywood movie when I watched "World Music". It was a catchy tune and enjoyable. I would probably like Bollywood movies with all the singing and dancing and colorful backgrounds, like the video I saw.

9:52 PM

 
Blogger archer14 said...

I'm sick and tired of watching hinglish movies, they are tailor made for those freaking NRIs who want to keep 'chilling out' wherever the hell they are. The last enjoyable and truly fabulous hindi movies I watched were:
1. Water - Notorious for being practically banished from every theatre in India.
2. Paheli - A mythical folk tale about a woman who falls in love with a ghost. Submitted for the Oscars.

9:23 AM

 
Blogger The Wandererâ„¢ said...

Just wanted to point out that Jayalalitha is no more an Indian minister. She was kicked outta power a few weeks back by her permanent, arch rival :)

2:59 PM

 
Blogger Raheel Lakhani said...

why the hell we dont have good cinemas in Pakistan which can view Indian movies? Its not the same when you watch a dvd instead of viewing it on big screen. I hope that Indian movies' ban will soon get removed in Pakistan and we will able to see more SRK and kajol movies :)

11:10 PM

 
Blogger The Wandererâ„¢ said...

TF's court jester! :)

Thanks for stopping by, its nice to know you are an avid blogger when you are not on duty ;)

12:14 AM

 
Blogger Shaykhspeara Sha'ira said...

Hai Allah mai mar gaya!

Sorry just got caught up in the moment...

Amitabh is indeed the man...

5:46 PM

 
Blogger Cergie said...

Mango lassi ! HHHmmm !
Yum-my !!!

4:07 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

junebee..u are right..there's something infectious about their music..
archer..Paheli starred Shah Rukh Khan..my crazy friend watched it..and cried buckets...she's not even an indian!
wanderer...really? anyway..she needs not worry too much...so much money in her purse..:)
ruben...u will enjoy bangrah music too!
baluchi..the same swami? he must be wronged about me if that's what he said to u.;(
raheel..yes i believe so..as relationship between 2 nations improved..
shaira...there's something about Amitabh..the X factor...vintage wine..just like Sean Connery!
cergie...u can mixed lassi with almost all types of fruits!

5:33 PM

 
Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

bollywood. i get sucked into those movies man. it's like hollywood in it's heyday only with (gasp!) people of color. and who can resist random bouts of song and dance...

5:55 PM

 
Blogger Van Cong Tu said...

In Viet Nam, we all love Indian film and music. I think bollywood is as big as hollywood for asia.
Great post.

7:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home