Monday, June 19, 2006

GNH



GNH: Gross National Happiness
Gross National Happiness (GNH) is an attempt to define quality of life in more holistic and psychological terms than Gross National Product.

The term was coined by Bhutan's King Jigme Singye Wangchuck in 1972. It signalled his commitment to building an economy that would serve Bhutan's unique culture based on Buddhist spiritual values. Like many worthy moral goals it is somewhat easier to state than to achieve, nonetheless, it serves as a unifying vision for the Five Year planning process and all the derived planning documents that guide the economic and development plans to the country.....

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_National_Happiness

Indeed a noble concept...but to urban dwellers like us..especially those in Dubai..it's a bit naive. In affluent societies...pursuing wealth (money) is a favorite past time of most people."Talk about soul in my next life!"
In Dubai...i suspect..majority of the population (about 80% are foreigners)are extremely unhappy lot..we are always complaining(blogs, media forums, among circle of friends..etc) about the traffic jams, the weather, rude services, lazy locals, stinking construction workers...blah, blah, blah. Perhaps, our happiness is derived by inflicting pain on others.I am thinking...here u are...earning big bucks but somehow your threshold of tolerance diminishes? If you are still ranting about the same issues after 6 mths..i think u are better off somewhere else.

In my non scientific analysis, i think money and happiness are inversely related. Contentment is the indicator...again it's easier to say than to achieve. Perhaps, there are exceptions?

I have a friend..she's not making lots of money. But she gladly give a big portion every month (no time frame)to help another friend who's in deep sh*t....with no strings attached. You can really see the radiance in her face and the sparkles in her eyes...the contentment. I doubt I can do that...not in a million year!

What makes u happy?

9 Comments:

Blogger Taunted said...

What makes me happy? The little gifts by 5yo makes me, the happiness that I try to infuse in other peoples life, blowing kisses at guys who stich me up on the road and watching them blow a fuse.

Oh, and Vodka, Vodka makes me very happy!

9:07 AM

 
Blogger Cergie said...

What'ld made me happy ? I would like to wear the same dress than the little cute boy...
I understand now why you are so interested with feng shui !!!!
Ahahaha !
I agree with you: possess much restrains...

8:18 AM

 
Blogger Tainted Female said...

I think you’re right and it’s a common misconception that money can buy happiness. As for myself, I’m one of the happiest people you’ll ever meet (even during the shitty things I face from time to time), just ask one who knows me; and I sure as hell ain’t rich.

Nice to see something new here.

And Balushi makes me happy. Taunted too...

1:03 PM

 
Blogger Writer and Nomad said...

funny, someone i know will be in bhutan for three weeks, and he just told me all about this Gross National Happiness. i think it was part of the reason he wanted to go there. interesting concept indeed.

1:53 PM

 
Blogger junebee said...

I covered that on my "10 Simple Pleasures" post dated 05.02.06.

Being home from Canada has made me nearly estatic! My own home! Good coffee! My cats! My martial arts class!

5:32 AM

 
Blogger San Nakji said...

Having lots of money! That would make me happy ;o)

What? That's not the point?

Then, I think travel and my family (maybe in the other order...)

6:55 AM

 
Blogger black feline said...

taunted...Absolut..ly..lol
cergie...hopefully its not the same size!
baluchi...maybe u are just tired? or mad!
your highness ...baluchi is after your money...stay away!
april...i think your friend will have a wonderful experience...recently the young prince of Bhutan visited Phuket, Thailand...the ladies there went gaga over him...many are planning to visit his little nice country :)
junebee...yes..home is still the best...the familiar stuff...etc
san nakji...i know what will makes u flip over the moon...u winning the presidency! lol

7:15 AM

 
Blogger Cergie said...

No problem, i'll find some fleecy material, than I'll cut and saw it. I have time, I'me a housewife ! ;-)
And it was not a joke, for a long time I'm trying to find a pretty cloth to do that !

5:37 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

cergie...i have no doubt u will b good with your hands...everytime i visit your blog...full of surprises..many things we take for granted...the simple pleasures in life..i found in your blog...your lifestyle!

5:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home