Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Excuse me, are u the sponsor? Part 01


"I heard from Musa... they wanted you to fire Joe?" Mr. Saheed, the sponsor asked me. Such issues can only be discussed in our private corner within the Business Centre...and that's the cosy reading room. Amazingly, the evil twins (the chinese boss and his wife)have no idea of its existence. Definitely better than the hot and stuffy secret place I share with Musa, the Gestapo from Lebanon...also the faithful servant of Saheed.
"Well, I told them you can't fire him just because he refused to work on Friday which was his off day!..any case...you cannot ask him to leave within 24 hours!I suggested a warning letter. They refused..so I told them to do it themselves!"
"Mr. Saheed...please help Joe ok? he's good and hardworking.. be fair!" i pleaded. He nodded "Well, I see what I can do."
Mr. Saheed is a rich man. Currently, he is a sponsor to ten (yes 10!) foreign companies. On the average, his remuneration per company is about 50,000 Dhm per year.His main task is to assist in the visa processing. Every morning, he arrives at 10am...leaves at 11am..on the dot. The evil twins trembled whenever he snapped...we had a good laugh!He's married with 2 lovely kids. In his early forties...he has a strange fetish. He loves to stroke the thighs of the guys (mainly from asia)and give then a squeeze "Wow..very good and strong thighs!"
When I first arrived...Mr. Saheed brought us (myself, Musa and a couple of new staff)to the beautiful Madinat Jumeirah for dinner. The place is awesome..resembling a Moorish designed palace..courtyard..a tiny creek..cafes, restaurants, even a theatre for foreign acts mainly...and not forgetting the bazaar-like Souk Madinat..where u could shop for interesting souvenirs..etc Just a short distance away, u will not miss the Burj Al Arab Hotel.Since then...I will make a trip to the Madinat once a month..it's like a pilgrimage to my little mecca....lol. As far as I could remember..only three other places hold such fond memories for me...hope to revisit them again soon. The Dolmabahce Palace and Topkapi Palace in Istanbul/Turkey and The Alhambra, Granada/Spain. I spent one month each in Turkey and Spain. Most interesting trips in my entire life.
In Istanbul, who could ever forget the man with his seven footer grizzly bear..mouth muzzled (the bear)..strolling along the road...then hillbilly sucker like us wanted to take a shot with the creature..and later was stunned when the owner produced a bowl with a sticker at the bottom.."Please pay US$30 for the photo with the cute bear!"
And in Spain...had my most hallowing experience..I decided to make a side trip to Morocco..but was detained for 8 hours at the clearance gate for not having a visa....that moment I was so afraid..images of Midnight Express appeared in my mind.."Im going to die here..."
"Hello..Saheed is going to organise a dance party and he wants u to come!"

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me, are u the office politic observer? that politic drama sequence is not suppose to appear in the oasis dubai blog....mind your title of your blog!

8:18 PM

 
Blogger junebee said...

So the guy likes Thai thighs? A little bit kinky!

11:56 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

yes I am...my mission is to observe life wherever I am..even in timbuktu! u need me to write about your office politics? I will gladly...

Mainly filipinos...he said they are young, slim and have nice and smooth skin..a bit crazy i know..otherwise he's the good guy in the company..my advice to those people...don't stay in the office alone..lol..Mr. Saheed will kill me for this..lol

5:25 AM

 
Blogger Crystal said...

Interesting work environment, but kinda creepy. Lucky you for getting to go to Madinat Jumeirah!! That is a beautiful beautiful place, I've seen it featured on travel shows and could only dream of being there in person. Turkey & Morocco strike me as being quite similar for some reason, and I am hoping to visit Istanbul one day too. The expensive photo op experience must have sucked.

7:28 AM

 
Blogger Van Cong Tu said...

Lucky you that you can work in such a beautiful place. I love your picture.

1:34 PM

 
Blogger kingfisher said...

Hey BF,

Where i am coming from, this 'touching' thing is taboo in the workplace. If you, or your flow employees want it to stop you must say so to the offender. If he doesn't desist, it constitutes sexual harassment, and you have the right to notify the police. You have a great blog, you are clearly a rights oriented individual, please stand up for yourself!

Ciao

kingfisher

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Raheel Lakhani said...

Halcyon said it all :)

4:07 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

hard to explain..somehow in our kind of environment..especially construction related..guy to guy so called touching is common...of course none of them is engaging in activities like the two lovey dovey comboys from brokeback mountain..lol...and I think Mr Saheed meant don't harm...anyway those guys "smarten" up..and keep their distance..my whistle is in my right pocket..I will blow it wisely ;)

5:05 PM

 
Blogger BrainSyke said...

I am a bit jelous of these local arab to make millions just for being a sponsor. Its like lending money on credit cards and eating interest. LOL. I wanna be the lender! :-)

I was almost shocked to see Joe's case for firing him. Are employment policies of the companies quite standard there? Are they usually followed?

7:34 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

the problem is that many workers..especially those doing general works..in the construction site..do not know their rights! ideally it will be great if there's someone or organisation that can help them foc with regard to employment issues..a good sponsor will try to act as a mediator....

4:41 AM

 
Blogger BrainSyke said...

Everytime I think of the UAE employement market I get furious! It doesnt seem like they place value in skills and people....

They rather look at age,race,gender,language to determine who to hire and how much to pay.

11:47 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

it's evolving..for the better :) I have hope.

5:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home