Saturday, January 14, 2006

Le Grand Voyage



There is not a single (maybe someone will prove me wrong) arthouse cinema/theatre in Dubai/UAE. ALL cinemas are showing mainly Hollywood fare. It will be nice, other than making money, to screen good movies, especially from Europe, Iran, Asia..etc Last year, someone was kind enuff to loan me this road movie "Le Grand Voyage". A Gem....in a nutshell, the movie is about:
A young French-born young rebellious man, whose conservative Moroccan father forces him to act as chauffeur on a madness 5,000km road trip to Mecca.Along the way, they meet several interesting characters..really it's about the relationship..if there's any between them....clash of ideology...of young and old...of religious and non religious...it's about give and take..about respect..about one's fervent faith...

It's quite parallel to the situation many foreigners faced when they are working in a foreign land..particularly the Middle East. Reluctantly it's about adjustment..about respect..about give and take..etc Hopefully..at the end of the journey..we come out a better person. If you can..try to get hold of this DVD!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already seen this movie in december, (Mid valley International screen, Kuala Lumpur), if I'm not mistaken, also showing in SG also, orchard cineleisure), but quite boring...too much talk...., but look forward to Brokeback Mountain.... I seen it on pirate VCD.... good movie...

8:51 AM

 
Blogger black feline said...

brokeback mountain? by Lee Ang...I doubt it will ever be screened in UAE..the theme is quite controversial..anyway, le grand vogage is still one of favorites..u have to be patient watching it.

1:55 PM

 
Blogger San Nakji said...

It sounds great. Thanks!

6:34 AM

 
Blogger black feline said...

I love good movies..remember many years ago..saw an italian movie :Cinema Paradiso..8 times! it's about movies...i imagine myself operating the projector in a small arthouse cinema..that will be fun!

6:46 AM

 
Blogger BrainSyke said...

I will certainly look for it on NEtflix.com. I have already have 8 movies in teh queue, but perhaps I can move it to the top of my queue

8:53 PM

 
Blogger Crystal said...

I subscribe to NETFLIX and watch a lot of movies, and actually I watched the French film A Very Long Engagement just last night! I guess I wouldn't fare well in the Middle East where many forms of media and art is censored.

10:45 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

yes i remember that movie..will check it out..Audrey Tautou was brilliant in Amelia..and she is in the coming..eagerly awaited by fans all over the world...THE DA VINCI CODE!!!! with Tom Hanks. But do you know Desperate Housewives was shown last year in Dubai...cable channel? don't u think most art movies pale in comparison? (tongue in the cheek)..lol..so be assured the censorship board has 2 sets of scissors..

6:22 AM

 
Blogger Crystal said...

I am ADDICTED to Desperate Housewives, though the 1st season was better, and YES it surprises me that the show aired in a conservative Muslim country. I guess censorship is going down the tubes. ;-)

4:39 AM

 
Blogger black feline said...

tell u a little secret...in Bur Dubai..the main city..there is a shop...maybe about 1000 sq ft...with frosted glass from the outside..u will never guess..but once u take peek in..u will see a mini supermarket...with nothing but shelves and shelves of wines, liquors..etc u will laugh at the scene...guys looking like desperate housewives pushing the trolleys doing their shopping...never so diligent b4..lol

6:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey black feline,

Could you give me the exact location of this shop in Bur Dubai!!!

Regards

Wise Guy

3:10 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

hi,

it's along computer street..opp palm beach hotel..just ask around once u reach there..good luck :)

4:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home