Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Dial M For Murder


It's a sad day...a fellow Singapore PR was murdered in Dubai.
"The motive behind the murder of Martin Herbert Steiner was theft and financial benefit from his credit cards, police said on Sunday. Two people were arrested, one of whom has confessed to the crime....
Colonel Al Merri said Steiner had met the two suspects through a website and later met them at a shopping mall. They then took him to an apartment where they murdered him....."

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/06/06/26/10049580.html
I consider myself a fairly seasoned traveller...and pretty streetwise too. Still, I constantly remind myself never to let my guard down...you never know what's out there! However..easier said than done...complacency slips in once in a while.

In Dubai...many a night..alone..I had walked thru dimly lighted alleys at the Old Souk..simply for a shorter route.

On several occasions...just to save a few Dhms...I had shared an illegal cab with 3 strangers..

One taxi driver from Egypt wanted to show me his collection of gems...at his place.

I had also met strangers via the internet...for trading and friendship.

On eBay...I managed to sell a few bottles of wine, a pair of shoes, a bag, silly impractical birthday gifts received...etc

I had also bought a couple of watches, books, a piece of 'rock' from Mars...etc
By the way, I have a japanese friend...he has a fetish for used undies. In fact, he bought a few from eBay. No, I have no idea what he's doing with them. Perhaps, he's moonlighting as a drag queen.

The safest place, I reckon, to carry out such transactions:
Busy carpark and fastfood outlet...Rule number one...Never follow the stranger home or invite him/her (yes femme fatale is deadly too!)to your place! Rule number two...buy your own drink AND theirs if on the other hand, you intend to spike...lol

Ok...'fess up! I had also met (almost) a couple of strangers via ICQ and Friendster..etc My strategy is simple: On the day of appointment...tell the other party you will be wearing purple jeans (wear a black one instead) for identification...arrive earlier and position yourself at a corner where visibility of the person is maximum and of yourself..minimum. Next...dial the number...pay close attention...someone will answer...look carefully..if it's an ugly creature..SCRAM FOR YOUR LIFE!

The bottomline: BE VIGILANT!


The original picture for this post.(Cergie..Thank you...point taken..:))

19 Comments:

Blogger Cergie said...

I was so joyfull when I saw first these two pretty sun flowers ! Then I read the post... It reminds me of a story. I'll come back later to tell it to you.

10:14 PM

 
Blogger junebee said...

I have some underwear I'd like to sell, tell your friend ! ;) Actually I read that the used underwear is available from vending machines.

I like the bait-and-switch idea for blin n dates. Personally, I always carried a gun in my purse.

11:17 PM

 
Blogger junebee said...

Oh, my ex-boyfriend was murdered a couple of years ago.

11:18 PM

 
Blogger Kuan Gung said...

Interesting...it's the old it will never happen to me...remember to buy a large coffee when leaving a strange area, it can come in handy for the unexpected. Good thoughts...and observations...

9:36 AM

 
Blogger Tainted Female said...

First of all... nice to have your blog back... then, I have to say this is pretty sad.

It's a shitty reality that the crime levels in UAE seem to be rising about as rapidly as everything else... Still generally safe, but scary to hear stories like this...

Just out of curiosity, did you meet the friend by selling him your panties online?

9:37 AM

 
Blogger Cergie said...

Endly something funny: we were together at the same time on my blog. You typing a comment and I my answer to one of your comments !
Everybody may have tragical hystory to tell as I've read Junebee's boyfriend was murdered. The brother of a friend was murderd by his domestic in africa. I think if his wife'ld accept to come with him instead being left in France that'ld not happen. But the story is not finish. My friend died too in a plane accident. That was in France and that never happens (3times per 30years ?)?
. So his parents, who were loving parents, lost their two only children.

5:12 PM

 
Blogger San Nakji said...

These are wise words. I worry for my kids (should some appear ;o)) as the youth of today seem less aware of these issues...

6:56 AM

 
Blogger BrainSyke said...

met just two ladies online...
fun evening!

6:40 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

cergie..that's so tragic! Im totally freaked out!
junebee...u know how japanese men are? better prepare a machine gun..lol Sorry to hear about your ex :(
kuan..what's a large coffee????????? whatever for? to stay alert is it? lol
your highness...to protect the environment...it's better to go without..lol
san...u are right...reckless is the word..
brainy...care to describe your fun?lol

7:39 PM

 
Blogger San Nakji said...

Check out the red paper clip guy! He finally got his house! ;D

5:10 AM

 
Blogger black feline said...

Nakji...that's dream come true...sigh...lucky him? As mentioned..I have a yellow clip...still no taker!

6:03 AM

 
Blogger Cergie said...

Black Feline, I was in the entrails of the beast and I put two new links. Your blog is one of them. I hope you don't mind I've yet do that !! Hihi !

3:52 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

cergie..my honour and pleasure! u can see i have yet to put up a blogroll...working on it for a while and on hold again..must get it done fast..yrs will definitely be on it...because from my heart...your blog is maintained with TLC...tender loving care..I feel blessed each time i visited your blog :)

4:44 PM

 
Blogger The Wandererâ„¢ said...

Wow..didn't really expect you to come back AGAIN to my blog..lol..I'm alive but just a little demotivated coz not many visitors to my little blog..hehe..dont worry, sooon I shall be making another lil trip with more stories to share..:)

Good to see you are keepin the tempo up..so you meet people from Friendster too? Hmm..I wonder if we have set up a meeting before and if you were the one who didnt turn up.. :P

By the way, I have two pussy cats at home, Homer and Meow :D

10:27 AM

 
Blogger black feline said...

hi wanderer...glad u are getting back soon...i try to do one posting a week...have a tight schedule!

Homer and Meow huh? One with such a classic name...the other is so ordinary...just MEOW? lol

5:54 PM

 
Blogger Cergie said...

Merci Black Feline tu me touches au coeur et j'aime que tu viennes me voir. Your comments on my blog are always so interesting and appropriate. More you're such a sensitive person. I'm happy to have the possibility to know you despite you're living so far from me.

9:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ermmm... so you noticed that your "original picture" is just a wee bit racist? Just checking.

6:55 PM

 
Blogger black feline said...

anonymous,

don't be sensitive...that's actually me...black feline...black remember? On a serious note...u are reading too much into it!I have no intention to pin point any particular race etc..Do return pls...but this time with an identity ok :)

8:21 PM

 
Blogger flamin said...

this is such a sad story...to find the body in a suitcase in this heat. how disgusting can people get. grrrrr!

12:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home