Saturday, July 07, 2007

Back in Dubai but thinking....







.....of Vietnam. Strangely, I don't miss Singapore at all.
Ben Thanh market has long been one of Saigon's most famous landmark. The market has been in existence since the French occupation. The original market was located on the shores of Ben Nghe river by old fort Gia Dinh. Its proximity to the fort and the river where merchants and soldiers would land was reason for its name (Ben meaning pier or port and Thanh meaning fort). In 1859, when the French invaded Saigon and overtook fort Gia Dinh, Ben Thanh Market was destroyed. It was rebuilt shortly thereafter and remained standing until it was moved to its present location in 1899.
Things are really cheap here....and the best part, quality is maintained. By the way, thanks to drama diva (http://drama-diva.blogspot.com/) ....the photos look "museumsy" right? Try this out at : http://www.dumpr.net/
Bargaining is order of the day...for the fun of it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

As I have also had the pleasure to spend a couple of hours at this market place, I can confirm black feline's statements (if anybody doubted)!! Go there!!

2:48 PM

 
Blogger San Nakji said...

Port Fort? LOL!

Has Vietnam tourism signed you up yet? I am jealous about all the places you get to go!

2:08 AM

 
Blogger Cergie said...

The picture at the bottom is particularly nice
French invasion, yes you are right
Vietnam was a part of France and now however nobody is able to speak French there (in fact no every body as it was the case in the past)

America !!!!

BF, I'm often away as you noticed and when I'm back home, I've much to do and I'm rather tired too
I've some difficulties to go and visit all my blog-friends, and yet I try as you do

Have a good week, my lovely kitten

12:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home