Friday, March 07, 2008

Riding a donkey.....


"My friend, my grandmother told me while you are riding a donkey, continue to look for a horse. If you have not found the horse, don't leave the donkey..u still need to use it. You understand?"
Tears welled up in his Bambi looking eyes. Gee...I must have touched a nerve. Hopefully he understood. Ok...I lied about the "grandmother" part.
My 2nd driver (Mohamed left...visa expired) Rafid was sharing with me about his bad boss. And he wanted to quit without any alternatives as yet.
" You give visa..i work for you."
"My friend it is not that simple ok? Anyway, you just continue and I will look out for you."
Actually, I cooked up the entire donkey story with an ulterior motive. It is hard to get a good driver in Dubai. He knows my daily schedule. Excellent driver..very punctual....and running little errands for me without fail..laundry, shopping...etc And if he sees me 100 m (ok..20 m away)...dragging my bags and what have you...he will rush forward to take over! Such initiative..where to get in Dubai? And of course I will reward him with his favorite Krispy Kreme doughnut from Deira City Centre. Not so sure whether that's good for his diabete.
Anyway to cut the long story short..I have to keep him at all costs!
(Picture showing my dear driver drinking sweet "skyjuice" from the Hatta Dam)


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you like travel writers, or at least writers who've travelled, like Naipaul and Theroux. Have you read 'Sir Vidia's Shadow?' It's unfair, bitter and very funny at parts.

2:35 AM

 
Blogger black feline said...

Naipaul and Theroux? lol..the two old men fell out..I think Naipaul was a bit eccentric and vain. Yes...i have the book. But to be fair..i hope to hear the other side of the story. Theroux is one of my favorite travel writers.

6:35 AM

 
Blogger existential al ain said...

Try Dunkin' Donuts, and more than just one!

Or maybe something that'll help his diabetes.

:)

7:36 AM

 
Blogger Peter said...

Not always easy to find the best solution; the compromise between trying to be lucky with what you have and at the same time to be ambitious and wish something maybe better...

1:30 PM

 
Blogger di.di said...

And of course I will reward him with his favorite Krispy Kreme doughnut from Deira City Centre.

lol...

9:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is vey nice & informative. I always appreciate your work. Thanks to the sharing.
Mohammad Zohaib Khan from Atlanta

12:10 AM

 
Blogger Mark Devis said...

Nice blog and nice pictures.Dhow Cruise Dubai

1:42 PM

 
Anonymous offshore said...

Great post, I’m looking forward to hear more from you!!
offshore companies in dubai

7:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home